Monday, January 16, 2012

Tom's Birthday Card

Tom celebrated his birthday last Friday.  I don't know about other card crafters but I think it's difficult to come up with a masculine design for birthday cards.  Maybe it is because many of my supplies (paper, stamps, embellishments, etc) lean toward the feminine side....you know, pastels, flowers, cutesy stuff.  So, months ago when I came across a sheet of "Target Practice" (Play Date collection) by Jenni Bowlin, I immediately bought it and added it to my paper stash!  I knew that I would use it somehow in crafting a card for Tom.  Without further ado, let me post a picture of the finished card....


The Target Practice paper was used for the middle part of the card front.  The gun-related items above and below the target paper are just color copies of pictures from gun books and boxes of ammo.  After getting all the pieces situated where I wanted them, I glued them to the front using my handy dandy adhesive tape.  The card still needed a little something so I inked up my brayer using Tim Holtz Tea-Dye distress ink and rolled the brayer over the front of the card several times.  It was my first attempt at using the brayer so I did practice on a scrap sheet first.  I didn't want the ink to be too heavy. 

I "embellished" the front of the card with two fake bullet holes going thru the middle target.  I knew that real bullet holes would not stop after going thru the front of a card so............the bullet holes also went thru the inside greeting.  I had already decided upon a related inside greeting so the bullet holes inside just added to the theme.  The inside greeting????? how about "Have a sure shootin' birthday" with the bullet holes going thru the two "O's" of the word shootin'.  I used alphabet stickers for the inside wording (actually had enough from one alphabet sticker set to use for the entire phrase).  I used the Tea-Dyed distress ink on the inside also around the bullet holes.  I may be a girl but I do know that there would be some powder residue around a bullet hole!

Now for a pic of the inside............


Needless to say, the birthday card was right on target (no pun intended) - Tom loved it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment